Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My First Triathlon - Camp Yuba

Sometimes I jump into things without fully thinking it through, doing a triathlon was one of them. I trained all summer long, rotating swimming, biking, and running, then came Hawaii, then I got sick, so I slacked off for a couple of weeks. I thought I was somewhat prepared and a little nervous about the swimming part but thought it was only 1/2 mile, it couldn't be that bad. I was wrong! I was excited and a little nervous on Saturday as we got into the lake and waited for the gun, I moved to the outside to try and get out of the pack. The gun went off and I started swimming for my life, I immediately felt claustrophobic, everyone around me was pounding me with various arms, legs, & whatever. I couldn't see through the murky Yuba water, and before I got to the first buoy I honestly thought about quitting because I felt like I couldn't get a deep breathe. I kept saying a prayer to help me get through the swimming because I knew I could finish the race if I made it out of the water without drowning, and by a miracle I did. I did pretty good for my first triathlon, I was hoping to finish under 2 hours and ended up finishing 1:41:16 and I got 3rd in my age class, I was only 30 seconds behind 2nd. Just like child birth and those newborn sleepless nights, you forget how bad it was, and I am ready for my next triathlon. It was way harder than the 1/2 marathon Brian & I ran in March, but it gave me such a great feeling to accomplish something I didn't think I could do. So who knows what my next dumb idea will be, any guesses?

Hallelujah, I survived and I am still smiling!

2 comments:

marie said...

Congrats Kim I am way proud of you!!!! Can you give me some of that ambition? I really think it's cool that you keep setting goals and fulfilling them.:)

britti said...

Kim- So cool! Maybe I'll try one- you've inspired me!