Sunday, September 7, 2008

Grandma Bennett's Zucchini Cake

Our neighbor Casey just gave us some zucchini from her garden and I knew exactly what I was going to make with them, Grandma Bennett's Zucchini Cake. I don't know if it was the zucchini cake that was so good or if it was that Grandma Bennett made it with so much love that made it taste better. No Grandma Bennett was not my grandma, she was Brian's but she always treated me as if I was. We lived in the Provo House (the house all the grandkids would stay in while they were going to BYU and Grandma & Grandpa never lived in) after we got married, and she would always bring me up zucchini cake when they visited. The funny thing is I remember that even though they liked it best with walnuts, she would always leave out the nuts for me. It seems like a silly thing, but it was so sweet and showed that she really cared about me, I really miss her a lot. She is such a wonderful example of what a Christ-like woman is, I want to strive to become more like Grandma Bennett, and hopefully cook like her also. YUMMY!
At the Provo House 15 years ago, a few days before our wedding, Britt & I eating Grandma's Zucchini Cake. (We both look so young!!!!)

Grandma's Zucchini Cake
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. oil
3 eggs
2 c. peeled & grated zucchini
3 tsp. vanilla
3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 t. baking powder
Beat sugars, oil, & eggs until fluffy. Stir in grated zucchini & vanilla. Sift dry ingredients & add to creamed mixture. Pour into greased 11X14 pan(cookie sheet w/high edges). Bake at 325 for 25 to 30 minutes until golden. Cool & top w/ cream cheese frosting.
Frosting: Beat 6 ounces of soft cream cheese and 1/2 cup butter until fluffy. Add 4 cups of powdered sugar and 1 tsp. of vanilla beat until blended.
(Recipe from Grandma's cookbook: HOLDEN FAMILY FAVORITES 1982)

3 comments:

Wilkinsons said...

I have been craving this ever since you told us about it. It sounds delicious - thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

Liz Laudie said...

It has been a long time since I've seen Brittany. Say Hi to her for me. Isn't Zucchini bread the best.

Rich

britti said...

Hi Rich! Kim send some our way! That stuff is the best